Tuesday, October 12, 2021

What got me into this work?

A LITTLE BIT ABOUT ME...

Let's start with the experiences that inspired me to get into this work. I had suffered from asthma since the age of four. Asthma, hay fever, eczema and numerous bronchial issues were a significant part of a very busy, curious, creative upbringing. 

PARAQUAT POISONING
While doing some part-time work in my late teens, I was poisoned by a herbicide named Paraquat. I had no idea that this was the case until,  about seven years later, it was diagnosed by a medical doctor in Auckland, NZ. Using a very subtle diagnostic tool Matt Tizard was able to diagnose and manage a healing protocol that, although lasting many months and causing immeasurable discomfort, removed most of the toxin from my body.
All manner of ever-increasing illnesses consumed my life for the years leading up to Matt Tizard's diagnosis. It was horrific: exhaustion, mental fatigue, physical pain, mental cloudiness, digestive issues, heart and lung issues, insomnia, anxiety, depression. 
Unable to work regular hours, my Father took me in; I helped out in his business and stayed in a spare room at his house.

MEDITATION
I was twenty four and crook as a dog, as they say, when Dad confided in me that back in the '70's he had learned a meditation technique called TM and that at the time it had helped with mental states and sleep. 
A few weeks after hearing Dad's story, I was sitting in a room with Alan Hills, my TM Teacher, and that day I transcended into the most blissful state that I had ever experienced. For the first time in what felt like a lifetime, I transcended the pain, sorrow, grief, anxiety and just sat in a state of wellbeing: I was hooked and have not missed a day since.
Meditation was the backbone of my ability to stay 'sane' during the most terrible and frightening years of my life. Without me being consciously aware of it, the Paraquat slowly affected every organ in my body, creating deep stress and fatigue. There were days when I could not even open my eyelids; the exhaustion was so great. Meditation gave me a reprieve, a place to visit, a 'drop in centre' if you will, where the symptoms of the 'dis-ease' could not reach me - it was a lifesaver.

HYPNOSIS and NLP
The detox with Matt was very difficult. Using multiple methods, Matt helped me 'motivate' my body into a healing response, a truly uncomfortable process if ever there was one. The detox process was so bad at one point that I was experiencing deep passion and very negative thought processes. I remember sitting with Matt during an appointment explaining how I was feeling when he suggested that I run through a psychological process with him. At the time I was literally ready to do anything to remove the depression I was feeling. It was only ten minutes later that the darkness that had been shrouding my mind for months lifted: I felt suddenly lighter and could, for the first time in years, perceive light at the end of the tunnel.  "What was that?" I asked, and he replied, "It's called NLP."  Weeks later, I was enrolled in my first week of a Diploma in Clinical Hypnosis and NLP (Neuro-linguistic Programming).
The detox lasted several years; during that time, I earned a Diploma in Clinical Hypnosis and finished a degree in Psychology, followed a few years later with NLP Practitioner and Master Practitioner training and have never stopped using and sharing these learnings and strategies since.

THE MIND
Without the success-based strategies learned from these disciplines, I would not have known how to navigate what often felt like insurmountable mental, emotional and physical hurdles. The raft of techniques and tools gratefully received through the training in hypnosis and NLP has given me and those I work with the ability to shift from a place of fear to a place of fascination: a curiosity that inspires the mind and body to do amazing things.

No comments:

Post a Comment